Monday, January 5, 2009

Sanchez


It is almost but not quite raining about 3:00 p.m. when I am doing errands on foot in San Francisco. This is Sanchez, looking south. I posted a long view of Sanchez on a much brighter day here.


And I have posted a couple of times already about this new phenomenon of free homophobic expression right within the Castro. I can testify that until the passage of Prop 8 I had not observed or overheard even one example of overt homophobia in the Inner Mission or the Castro, not ever. And that is based on about ten years' daily experience. Fliers like the one pictured here are put up constantly on poles and empty surfaces, offering services or amusements to gay people, new ones every day. Yet this is the first time I have ever seen one defaced inside the Castro. This is on 17th near Sanchez.