Monday, March 23, 2009

Ectoplasm


Windy bright cold San Francisco afternoon. I walked over to Flax, the art supply store, and saw the image above plastered to blank walls on Valencia Street. It is a horror movie being advertised. I have seen many late 19th/early 20th century black and white photos of female spirit mediums producing "ectoplasm" from their mouths, and it looks just like this. Marina Warner has a firm grasp of ectoplasm here. This horror movie poster definitely marks the first time I have observed ectoplasm moving into mainstream pop culture.


Next I came upon this bunny flasher. Sticker art is almost as ephemeral as those newspaper collage paintings I was showing here a time or two earlier this winter.


Go ahead! Demand it!



ATLAS BRASS WORKS 827 FOLSOM ST. S.F. I only noticed the relief lettering on this brass joint by accident. Now painted over white, it is not likely to be noticed. Yet what solidly exuberant lettering.